Buying your first home is a huge step for anyone. The process can be long and requires a lot of planning. However, don’t let it become stressful! Here are 5 tips for buying a home to help you stay calm and collected so you can focus on the important parts… like decorating!
- Stick to your budget. House hunting can get pricey quick when you’re searching above your means. Don’t get trapped in a Pinterest whirlwind of mansions and vacation homes. Remember that this is going to be your home, and you need to be able to afford it every day. Bigger isn’t always better! Find a home that is the right size for you, and at a price that won’t make you lose sleep at night trying to figure out how you’ll make your payments.
- Buy for tomorrow, not today. It’s easy to find a house that fits your needs for today, but do you intend to start a family later? Own pets one day? Maybe build a pool in the backyard? Don’t forget to take into account what your future looks like. Buying a small two bedroom for you and a spouse may not be wise if you want to start a family one day. Or buying a town home with no backyard would make having pets in the future difficult with nowhere for them to get some fresh air. Want to build a beautiful in-ground pool? Make sure your backyard is big enough with nothing buried underground that would be in the way of digging. Think about the future!
- Don’t try to predict the market. Waiting to buy a home “when the market is right” will be nearly impossible. Trying to predict the real estate market trend is not going to be easy or completely accurate. Trends change so quickly and drastically. The right time to buy a home is when you find a home you love. Don’t miss out on your perfect place because you want to wait for a better time. No time is better than the present!
- Check out the neighborhood. When purchasing a home, the house is not the only thing you’ll see every day. You’ll be seeing the neighborhood and everything surrounding it as well. From the beautiful front entrance to the beat up house down the street, you get it all! Make sure when house hunting that you like the area you’re in. Check out the activity in the neighborhood, the stores in the surrounding area, how close you are to schools, and any possible homeowners association you’ll be in. Even if you don’t have kids, owning a home near a great school district can make it worth even more in the future if you decide to sell.
- Find the right agent for you. Once you decide on an agent, you’ll be spending a lot of time with and speaking to them regularly. Make sure that you choose someone you’re comfortable with! A buyers agent needs to be up to date on the market, know the area well, be aware of the current real estate trends, and of course, be friendly and easy to get along with! Real estate agents are here to help and are your tool in maneuvering through the process of buying a home. It can be complicated unless you get a good agent!
Consider all of these tips when deciding to buy a home. Briscoe Real Estate has a wonderful reputation in the community, and we sponsor some of the most friendly and helpful agents around! Our small, close knit team is ready to help you find your perfect home.
Written by Jordan Cummings